Bluegrass Music Festival
4-5 February 2017

 
       
  Home Menus About Us Bluegrass Festival  
   

 

 
 

Niagara School Pupils in the 1890's.

Niagara "Shinbone Alley".

Niagara School children at the Falls.

Niagara School Pupils 1908. (Teacher Mrs Wood)

Niagara School Pupils 1917. (Teacher Miss Keenan)

Niagara School Pupils 1934.

Niagara School children playing sport.

Niagara School with extra room.

Niagara School Bus.

Niagara School 1947.

Shop at Niagara.

Niagara School (Betty Lamb photo).

Niagara School Pupils 1961/1962.

Niagara School Pupils 1963.

Niagara School Pupils 1971.

Last day Niagara School. December 1972.

Photos provided courtesy of the Waikawa Museum.

 

History

Niagara Falls Café/Restaurant has been part of the landscape since 1893 when a single classroom was erected, the large wooden building was established in 1895.  The school is named, tongue in cheek, after the ‘other’ North American falls by a surveyor with a sense of humour who could see the similarity between the two.

The School supplied the settlement with education for the sawmillers’ and farmers’ children. When the mill closed the settlement dwindled. In 1972 the school was closed and its last pupils were sent to Quarry Hills School, along with those of Waikawa and Progress Valley Schools, which closed at the same time.

The school was then used to accommodate the expanding number of people wishing to attend the Presbyterian Church until it too closed, in 1991.  Then it was an intermittent dance hall and music room before Rae Cavanagh set up Boot Hill Pottery here. 

Rae and her husband Robin were also talented musicians who belonged to the legendary Progress Valley Possum Pickers.  She potted in this idyllic setting until her death in 1999.  

The eating oasis in the Catlins was set up by Amanda Banhidi and Trevor Leonard in 2001 on the 20th Anniversary of the Progress Valley Possum Pickers. Between them they turned the old school building into a mecca of local produce, arts and crafts. The executive secretary and diesel mechanic, confessed to knowing nothing about the professional hospitality industry when they opened the doors and just focused on creating foods they’d like to eat themselves.

That meant home grown vegetables and herbs and the best of Southland’s fresh produce – with cakes, slices and breads all made on the premises.

Niagara Falls Cafe became one of Southland’s most “discovered” eateries – recommended by Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, New Zealand Driving Holidays, Cuisine Magazine, AA Magazine, North and South as well as being a two time runner up in Cafe Magazine’s Best Cafe in Southland.

Won over by the location and the fresh-food ethos, in 2011 long-time darlings of the New Zealand cycling scene James and Laura Fairweather took over the cafe in partnership with Laura’s mother Sue Thompson and her brother Dale Thompson. 

The only change they made was the immediate introduction of bike tyres and puncture repair kits to the Cafe Gift shop.

The keen cyclists have become a regular sight on Catlins Roads, but none more so than Laura who turned the great outdoors in her personal gym as she geared up for the 2012 Para-Olympics in London where she won Gold, Silver and Bronze medals as pilot of a tandem cycling team with Philippa Gray – just weeks before she and James married right here at the cafe.

 
       
 
 
 

256 Niagara Waikawa Road, Niagara, South Catlins, Southland 9884
Click here for Google Map

For all enquiries: ph/fx: 03 2468 577   
email
: niagarafallscafe@xtra.co.nz

200m from Niagara Falls on the way to Curio Bay